Curtains are items that many families buy and use not only to block the sun but also to increase the aesthetics of the house.
Curtain washing process
Step 1: Soak the curtains before washing
Soaking curtains before washing will help soften the layers of dirt on them. To make cleaning the curtains easier, you can use a broom or vacuum cleaner to brush the curtains. For curtains with 2 layers of fabric, you should wash each layer separately.
For curtains with a lot of grease and dust, you can put the tip of the medicine in the water and then filter the water. Then, you add a little washing water and then mix the 2 mixtures together, soak for about 10 minutes to remove the best dust.
Particularly for curtains that are not too dirty or greasy, you just need to mix a little bleach and laundry detergent together, then soak the curtains for 20 minutes . After this soaking step, you can put them in the washing machine and wash them as usual.
Step 2: Sort curtains can be machine washed or hand washed
Currently, on the market, there are many types of curtains, in order to make the cleaning process easy and prevent damage, before washing, please classify machine wash curtains and hand wash curtains as follows:
- Machine wash curtain: Usually made of polyester material with high strength, and low elasticity, so it will not be deformed when machine washed. Moreover, in order for the fabric to be soft, when washing you need to use specialized laundry detergent and add a little fabric softener.
- Hand-washed curtains: Usually made from brocade or rough fabrics, these fabrics, if machine-washed, are easily deformed and stretched differently from the original size. As for velvet fabrics, when machine washing will lose a layer of snow on the curtain.
Normally, when cleaning brocade, rough or velvet curtains, you should use a vacuum cleaner, a hot air machine or a broom to clean them . Then, you put it out in the sun to dry to remove bacteria on the curtains. Only in this way can the integrity and smoothness of the curtains be preserved.
Step 3: Choose the right washing mode for the fabric
To help the curtain be used for a long time, before washing the curtains, you also need to choose the right washing mode for the fabric:
- For coarse fabrics, velvet fabrics, light-blocking fabrics: You do not need to machine wash, you just need to use a vacuum cleaner to clean or use the dry cleaning method. This process, not only helps in cleaning, but also ensures long-lasting use of the fabric.
- For curtains with 2-layer fabric: You should wash 2 layers of fabric separately, for the outer layer of chiffon fabric, you can use a little more bleach to make the fabric whiter. You can also set the Prewash mode on the washing machine to make the curtains whiter.
- Particularly for colored cotton fabrics: You absolutely should not use bleach when washing and do not soak in hot water because that is easy to fade the color of the fabric, making the fabric not used for a long time.
Step 4: Dry the curtains
After you have finished washing the curtains, next you should take them out to dry to avoid mold and unpleasant odors. In particular, you should choose to dry the curtains on a sunny and windy day , limit drying at noon because it is easy to fade the color of the fabric.
Each curtain material has a different drying time. Therefore, when drying, you need to pay attention to the time for the fabric to keep its color better. If possible, you can set the washer dryer or dryer on a low setting, to dry the curtains instead of letting them air dry.
Note when washing curtains with washing machine
When washing curtains with a washing machine, users need to pay attention to some of the following issues:
- To avoid problems with the washing machine, you should remove all piercings or other items that come with the m before washing. You only keep the curtain cloth to put in the machine to wash.
- Set the washing mode to the lowest (Delicate) , because the fabric has been affected by the sun, causing the fibers of the fabric to become coarse and very easily broken.
- Do not use hot water to wash , because that way the color of the fabric will easily fade, the texture of the fabric will also change. Once exposed to high temperature, the fabric will shrink and deform. According to advice, it is best to use water at 15-20 degrees Celsius.
How often should curtains be cleaned?
The best time to clean curtains will be every 3 – 6 months, this time depends on the space and your usage environment. You can shorten the cleaning time if the curtains are used in an environment that quickly collects dust and smells.
In addition to using water to clean the curtains periodically, every week you can use a vacuum cleaner or a feather brush to clean them briefly, avoiding too much dust on the curtains, affecting your health and family. home, and at the same time help the curtain look newer.
Some other ways to wash curtains
Steam cleaning of curtains
For families with economic conditions, you can equip your home with a steam machine to better clean the curtains, and even help clean other household items.Note: When buying steam engine products, you need to find a reputable store to buy to avoid buying fake goods. Moreover, you need to find out carefully whether the product you buy has a steam cleaning feature or not, to avoid bringing it back for improper use.
Dry curtain cleaning
Each type of curtain is made from different materials, so it will have specific regulations on how to wash and what type of detergent to use. For curtains that are designated for dry cleaning, it is best not to wash them with another method.
To clean dry curtains, you need a solvent to clean, but each type of material needs to use a different solvent, so you need to find out carefully before washing the curtain with this method.